Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Physician Asks: How Are You Doing This?

I had a follow-up call with a physician after the health care rally this Wednesday (I am still waiting on pix from PRCH – it was an impressive rally in many ways, especially in getting young people out.)


The physician asked, “How are you doing this… this ‘Feinstein 1200’ stuff?”


I replied that I wasn’t sure what she meant.


She repeated, “I said, how are you doing this?”


Me: “With a laptop? And a cellphone?” (And a bunch of you who write in?)


Doctor: (unimpressed) “But who’s funding you?”


I'll admit I was nonplussed by this notion. Why would anyone think this requires funding?


Doctor: “You have no funding?”


Me: (laughing) “Absolutely not!”


Doctor: (impatiently) “What are you – what are you connected to? What’s your affiliation?”


Me: “Affiliation?”


And so on...


Following this call, I’d like to remind you (and clarify for others) that The Feinstein 1200 has no funding or “proper” affiliation – it’s a grassroots organization, not a non-profit business. Like the somewhat misunderstood Diogenes (the poor man’s Socrates!), I’ll continue to carry my lamp in the daytime streets, looking for an honest policy. Unlike Diogenes, I’ll continue to keep you in touch with your fellow F1200’ers through an email newsletter.


(Full disclosure: I received approximately $180 in ones and fives and tens and twenties in the donation box on the night we ran our seminar last September. It didn’t cover the costs, but in this case, seriously, it was the thought that counted. I’ll happily stay in the red in this endeavor, and not without reason.)

No comments:

Post a Comment