Monday, December 28, 2009

Why I Am Still A Democrat, and Why I Am Concerned

My then-struggling parents, pictured with “Papou” at their Kennedy-era backyard wedding, carried on a family tradition, supporting Democratic candidates throughout their medical careers. But Democratic support of Bush’s Iraq invasion sorely tested Mom’s party loyalty, and Dad is seeking EU citizenship. What happened to staying in the fight? Answer: Unlike myself, some people know when to quit!

The past week was spent watching various talking heads explain why we should view the recent Senate vote on HCR as an historic piece of legislation – a “win” for President Obama. (And, of lesser import to the talking heads, some partial win for uninsured Americans, of whom I am but one.)

Much of the argument has been framed as a difference between “progressives” (variously described as unreasonable purists, left-wingers or crybabies) and “centrist Democrats.” I’m told that my support for the polite compromise of the public option marks me as some kind of “leftist” progressive, even though the goal of national health insurance has been a traditional “centrist” goal of my own Democratic Party for the last century.

Not to mention that it was once the goal of even a few Republicans: Nixon’s Comprehensive Health Insurance Act of 1974 was arguably far more radical than the soi-disant reforms the Senate has just passed.

My concern as a Democrat is that the current legislation, which creates a mandate without any real competition for private insurers and without any significant cost controls, has the potential to do far more harm than good to the Democratic Party.

I understand that my position is now in the minority, since so many reform advocates have been newly enlisted to tout the weak Senate bill as a “win”, apparently to boost Democratic chances in 2010. (A short-term, but necessary goal.) But the Democratic opinion in the Senate may be as wrong as it was on the vote to invade Iraq in 2003.

Because the current legislation only reinforces the corporate stranglehold on working and middle class Americans - a trend which has accelerated rapidly over the last 18 months - this legislation may be toxic for the Democratic party over both the near and long term. (Somewhere, Mitt Romney is smiling, and no doubt plotting for 2012.)

Moreover, given the administration’s already demonstrated lack of political will to fight for regulation and reform of the insurers (which will remain exempt from anti-trust laws under the Senate bill), I wonder whether it is realistic to believe that our activism can make a difference at this point in time.

But many of you disagree on that last point. For that I am grateful, and over the next week I’ll present your suggestions for making our voices heard - including ideas from Democratic Congressman Eric Massa.

In the meantime, best wishes for a more transparent, more truly Democratic 2010.

Keep the faith.

Eva

No comments:

Post a Comment